Lexus seized the spotlight at Pebble Beach to reveal some new alterations to the Lexus GS sedan, with the greatest update getting the addition of Toyota’s latest 2.0L turbocharged 4 to the mix, which is the same entry-level mill introduced on the RC200t and the NX200t crossover.
That mill is great for 241hp and 258 lb-ft of twist, which gets mated to Lexus’ most recent eight-speed automatic. The result is a total of three powertrain alternatives for the GS sedan, with the 200t being the base model, even though the GS350 nonetheless utilizes Toyota’s naturally-aspirated 3.5L V6. Speaking of which, that V6 was slightly tweaked and massaged to offer an additional 5hp and 3 lb-ft of torque, bringing the final figures to 311hp and 280 lb-ft. The GS350 nevertheless retains its eight-speed automatic.
There’s also the GS450h with its hybrid three.5L V5 and combined output of 335hp with its CVT transmission–and the outcome is a not-so-green -60 sprint in just five.6 seconds.
Other tweaks to the GS include a much more pronounced and aggressive frontal “spindle” schnoz, bi-LED headlights with complementing revised tails, as nicely as some reshaped features on the front and rear fascias.
For full details, check out the press release following the jump.
Mingling with the Classics: Lexus Introduces 2016 GS Throughout Pebble Beach Concours Celebrations
- New GS 200t RWD Model With 2.-Liter Turbo Engine
- Much more Power and Torque for GS 350
- Restyled Front End With Regular Bi-LED Headlamps
- New Available Lexus Security Program +
- Upgraded Multimedia Technology and for GS 350/GS 450h Normal Navigation
- New Obtainable Lexus Enform Service Connect
- New Interior Colors and Wood Trim Selections
August 13, 2015
MONTEREY, Calif. – Aug. 13, 2015 – The Pebble Beach Concours d’ Elegance, the premier concours event in the United States, is an suitable setting for the 2016 Lexus GS models to be introduced. The GS enters 2016 with a bolder style, a new GS 200t rear-wheel drive model and new luxury finishes that match the refinement of Monterey. The Lexus GS continues to feature impressive agility and sporty handling for turns along California Highway 1, as effectively as comfy ride good quality for extended highway driving. This is no modest mid-size luxury sedan. The engaging efficiency and amenities make the GS 200t, the GS 350 or GS 450h an outstanding decision for delighting enthusiast drivers as properly as luxury connoisseurs.
The Lexus GS epitomizes the intersection of style and refinement with a robust rendition of the Lexus signature spindle grille for 2016, framed by elegant satin chrome trim and flanked by distinctive new normal Bi-LED headlights. The nighttime glow is unmistakably the look of Lexus.
A new front bumper and rocker panel style further sharpen the coupe-inspired profile, with the makeover extending to revised taillights, revised rear trim and new 18- and 19-inch machine-finish wheel styles. Bold style deserves bold color, and so the 2016 GS offers new Matador Red Mica, Nightfall Mica and Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2. amongst other alternatives. The mica colors use an extraordinarily complex multi-layered, twice-baked process previously employed only for notion automobiles or custom vehicles.
Each and every year Pebble Beach brings together the ideal in elegance and technologies from decades past. The 2016 Lexus GS presents a modern day interpretation—exemplified by new interior trim selections such as laser reduce wood, Matte Walnut, Linear 3D and for the F SPORT, Naguri aluminum. New interior and leather colors incorporate Chateau and Noble Brown, whilst the F SPORT adds Rioja Red to accessible choices. The analog clock positioned in the center of the dash is housed in a single ingot of aluminum and uses LED indicators. It adds new GPS functionality for adjusting the time zone.
New Power and Efficiency
A new, third model, the rear-wheel drive GS 200t, joins the line with an exceptionally smooth two.-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine teamed with an eight-speed automatic transmission. The turbo engine delivers 241 hp and 258 lb.-ft. of torque, providing the GS 200t outstanding all-around overall performance and efficiency. The GS 200t has a Lexus fuel economy estimate of 33 mpg highway.
In the GS 350, a a lot more muscular 3.5-liter V6 produces 311 hp and 280 lb.-ft. of torque (vs. 306 hp and 277 lb.-ft. in the 2015 model) and is also paired with the eight-speed automatic. The V6’s mixture of direct fuel injection and further port fuel injectors guarantees ample power and crisp responsiveness.
Major the GS lineup is a auto you’d count on from the luxury hybrid leader, the GS 450h – a high-performing hybrid. Its Lexus Hybrid Drive system combines output from an Atkinson cycle three.five-liter V6 engine and a water-cooled permanent-magnet electric motor for 338 total technique horsepower, channeled by way of a planetary-type constantly variable transmission. Few may possibly count on five.six-second zero-to-60 mph acceleration overall performance from a vehicle that also has EPA estimated 29 mpg city, 34 mpg highway and 31 mpg combined fuel economy ratings.
Far more Grip, A lot more Grins
For added grip, the Lexus GS 350 delivers an offered all-climate drive system that’s far more than a foul-weather buddy. An electronically controlled center differential provides a standard 30:70 torque split, with the rear-wheel bias favoring handling agility. The program reacts instantaneously to alter the split to as significantly as 50:50, based on driving situations, to support optimize traction.
For added grins when driving, the F SPORT package available for all 3 GS models combines track-tuned chassis enhancements, like staggered tire sizes (RWD only), with exclusive exterior and interior design and style functions. On the GS 350, F SPORT can be combined with all-weather drive. With rear-wheel drive, the F SPORT package opens the door to greater handling functionality with the available Lexus Dynamic Handling (LDH) system with Dynamic Rear Steering (DRS).
New Lexus Safety Method +
The 2016 Lexus GS is a rolling testament to the brand’s commitment to cutting-edge safety technology. Its structure and 10 standard airbags type the foundation for occupant protection, while a wide array of driver-assist technologies helps the driver stay away from hazards. New and optional for 2016 is Lexus Safety System + which combines Pre-Collision Method (PCS) with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist, Intelligent High Beam (IHB) and All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Handle.
All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Manage performs at a variety of speeds. It tracks the speed of the car traveling ahead and can adjust the speed setting accordingly to aid sustain a preset distance. It’s sophisticated sufficient to smoothly adjust acceleration and deceleration when a automobile enters or exits the lane or highway ahead.
Utilizing a mixture of millimeter-wave radar and a front-facing camera, PCS can aid detect cars — and in some situations, pedestrians. The program can warn the driver of a possible collision and can initiate automatic braking with Brake Assist if necessary.
Making use of a camera to detect visible lane markings, Lane Departure Alert is designed to convey audio-visual alerts and vibrate the steering wheel if the program determines that the driver unintentionally deviated from the lane. Lane Departure Alert, with Steering Assist enabled, can support the automobile remain in the center of its lane by smoothly rising steering torque a little amount to help in maintaining course.
Intelligent High Beam combines technologies, security and driving courtesy. It automatically adjusts higher- and low-beam illumination by sensing not only oncoming targeted traffic, but also the taillights of the car traveling in front.
Lexus gave the GS models new multimedia for 2015, and now for 2016, the accessible 12.3-inch screen gains complete-screen map capability when equipped with navigation. Other multimedia changes include enhanced voice recognition and graphics.The screen can split into two sections to show different functions, such as navigation, audio and climate manage info. For GS 350 and GS 450h models, navigation is now standard.
New side “enter” buttons on the Remote Touch Interface controller and shortcut menu on the side of the screen make it even easier to operate climate manage, audio, telephone, navigation and more.
Apple iPhone® users have yet another manage choice — Siri® Eyes Free Mode. Make calls, choose songs from iTunes®, get turn-by-turn navigation through Apple Maps, and much much more, all by asking Siri.
Catering to its customers’ active lifestyles, Lexus Enform continues to expand its solutions and technologies. For 2016, new Lexus Enform Service Connect offers the GS a voice, in a sense, to relay its upkeep requirements. Use the MyLexusandBeyond mobile app (for iOS devices) or LexusDrivers.com internet site to set push-reminders and alerts for maintenance and service concerns. For instance, a required upkeep warning light will alert you and your dealer the particular factory advisable maintenance for a specific maintenance interval.
With Lexus Enform Remote (one particular-year trial subscription included), the customer can remotely view and control certain elements of the GS making use of a mobile app for iOS and Android devices. Functions include remote door lock/unlock remote begin/stop for the engine and climate control vehicle finder, guest driver monitor and much more.
Navigation is accompanied by the Lexus Enform Location Solutions and subscription-cost-free Lexus Enform App Suite. Its voice-enabled apps let you search the Net through Location Search, make restaurant reservations utilizing OpenTable®, get film tickets by way of MovieTickets.com™, listen to Net radio, (like Pandora®, iHeartRadio and Slacker), search company testimonials on Yelp® and verify in on Facebook Places™.
Lexus Enform Safety Connect is regular on all 2016 Lexus automobiles, with emergency calling capability and access to Lexus Enform response centers 24/7/365.
What’s New for 2016
- New GS 200t model has 241-hp, two.-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine and eight-speed automatic transmission.
- A lot more energy for GS 350 – now 311 hp and 280 lb.-ft. torque from three.five-liter V6.
- Restyled front end with bolder Lexus spindle grille and Bi-LED headlights, and revised tail lamps and rear bumper therapies.
- New offered Lexus Security Technique + combines Pre-Collision Method (PCS) with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist, Intelligent High Beam (IHB) and All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Manage.
- Common Navigation for GS 350 and GS 450h models
- Bigger four.2-inch multi-details display puts essential car information at a quick glance in driver’s line of sight.
- Upgraded multimedia technologies: side “enter” buttons on Remote Touch Interface (RTI) and full screen map capability for offered navigation with 12.three-inch central show screen.
- New accessible Lexus Enform Service Connect provides maintenance and service data accessed from smartphone app or internet site.
- New exterior and interior colors, wheel styles and interior wood and aluminum trim selections.
- Analog clock adds GPS time zone functionality.
- GS 200t: 241-hp, 2.-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder with dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i).
- GS 350: 311 horsepower, three.5-liter DOHC V6 with dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i).
- GS 450h: Lexus Hybrid Drive program combining output from an Atkinson cycle 3.five-liter V6 gasoline engine and a water-cooled permanent-magnet electric motor for 338 total method horsepower.
- GS 200t and GS 350: eight-speed sequential shift automatic transmission with paddle shifters and sport driving logic (RWD)
- GS 450h: planetary-type electronically controlled continuously variable transmission with two-speed reduction (for “kickdown” functionality), Snow mode and paddle shifters.
- Front and rear aluminum handle arms aid reduce unsprung weight and endow the GS with exemplary agility, sway damping, ride comfort, body handle and steering precision.
- Ventilated disc brakes function four-piston aluminum front calipers and are equipped with the most recent electronic enhancements to support provide braking balance and handle.
- Common 17-inch nine-spoke alloy wheels with 235/50R17 tires for GS 200t, and normal 18-inch alloy wheels with 235/45R18 tires for GS 350.
- Available GS F SPORT is exclusively equipped with 19-inch staggered width wheels paired with 235/40R19 front and 265/35R19 rear summer compound tires for RWD models, while AWD models have 235/40/19 all-season tires in the front and rear.
- The GS F SPORT RWD offers an optional Lexus Dynamic Handling (LDH) program with Dynamic Rear Steering (DRS). This technologies integrates DRS, Electric Energy Steering and for GS 350 only, Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS). Monitoring vehicle speed, steering direction and driver inputs, the technique calculates the optimum angle for all four wheels. Using VGRS in the front and DRS in the rear, the method can independently handle front and rear wheel steering angles to support enhance turn-in response, rear grip, car handle and cornering agility.
- Regular Automobile Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) anticipates loss of car control and governs all of the vehicle’s dynamic handling systems — Anti-lock Braking Method (ABS), Brake Help (BA), Automobile Stability Manage (VSC) and Traction Control (TRAC) — with the electronic throttle control method. VDIM employs these systems collectively and seamlessly to aid make corrections although enabling higher dynamic capability. The method also provides a restricted-slip differential impact.
- The GS is standard-equipped with 10 airbags, which includes a knee airbag for both driver and front passenger, seat-mounted side airbags for outboard rear seats, and side curtain airbags.
- Whiplash Injury Lessening front seats decrease the space in between the occupant’s head and headrest to support limit excessive head movement, and aid decrease the severity of whiplash-variety injuries, in particular varieties of rear end collisions.
- Common entertainment and connectivity technology consists of enhanced Bluetooth capability with automatic phonebook download and streaming audio.
- Standard DVD video compatibility, MP3 sound enhancement, five.1 simulated surround-sound from standard two channel sources such as MP3 files and CDs.
- HD Radio with iTunes tagging and a 3-month all-access trial subscription to SiriusXM Satellite Radio are standard.
- With the obtainable heated and ventilated front seats, the GS functions the Climate Concierge. This technique automatically monitors the temperature of three separate climate zones and adjusts not only the fans, but also the temperature of the seats and steering wheel individually. Each and every zone will accomplish its pre-set level of comfort as speedily as feasible.
- The optional Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Targeted traffic Alert (RCTA) aids detect autos in side blind spots and alert the driver to rear cross traffic when backing out of a parking space.
- The obtainable 17-speaker Mark Levinson premium surround sound audio program has 7.1 channel surround-sound through 10 channels utilizing a class D Digital amplifier with a clean 835-watts from 20-20,000 hz at only .01 % total harmonic distortion. Clari-Fi technologies analyzes compression in the signal of digital tracks (CD, iPod, etc.) and determines how significantly amplification is required, and where, to appropriate it
- 48-month/50,000-mile standard limited warranty with roadside assistance for 48 months/unlimited miles.
- 72 months/70,000 miles powertrain and restraint program coverage.
- 72 months corrosion perforation protection coverage, regardless of mileage.
- Eight years/100,000 miles hybrid-associated elements, such as the HV battery, battery-handle module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter.
– By: Chris Chin