When it comes to construction internet sites, accidents that occur when working at height are a single of the biggest causes of death and serious injuries. Even though a lot of the focus is on maintaining protected on ladders and scaffolding, a number of current incidents involving mobile elevated working platforms (MEWPs) illustrates the value of keeping safe while operating a operate platform. In this short guide, we appear at what you can do to minimise the risks and appropriately handle the hazards MEPWs can pose.
What are MEWPs?
As defined by BS EN 280:2013, a ‘Mobile Elevating Work Platform’ is a mobile machine which consists as a minimum of a function platform with controls, an extending structure and chassis that is intended for work at height.’
According to the International Powered Access Federation (IPAF), there are 4 primary classifications of MEPWs: ‘vertical’ (such as scissor lifts) and ‘boom’ (such as cherry pickers), which are then subdivided into either ‘static’ or ‘mobile’, based on no matter whether the MEWP can still be self-propelled backwards or forwards once the platform is raised.
Interestingly, according to the HSE, the most considerable MEWP dangers arise from operation and use of the machine rather than from their movement as a web site vehicle.
Whilst undoubtedly a vital piece of gear on building internet sites and beyond, the HSE reports that a quantity of operators have died as a result of accidents involving MEWPs. Most fatal and significant injuries arise when operators become trapped (usually among the basket and a fixed structure), when the machine overturns, from a fall, or throughout a collision, either with pedestrians, overhead cables or nearby vehicles.
Stopping MEPW accidents
Under The Building (Design and Management) Regulations 2015, hazards posed by MEPWs should be controlled. In addition to choosing the appropriate MEWP for the job and obtaining a well-rehearsed program in spot to rescue a person if anything goes incorrect, the HSE delivers a quantity of certain precautions that can reduce the risk from MEWP hazards, which includes:
- Confined overhead working: Brief operators on the dangers, and the protected program of perform to be followed. If there are overhead structures against which an operator could be trapped and then pushed onto the MEWP controls, take into account deciding on a MEWP that has been created to prevent such accidental speak to.
- Ground circumstances: The platform need to be utilised on firm and level ground. Any temporary covers should be powerful sufficient to withstand the applied pressure.
- Outriggers: Outriggers have to be extended and chocked ahead of raising the platform. Spreader plates may be needed – verify the gear manual.
- Guardrails: Make certain the work platform is fitted with powerful guard rails and toe boards.
- Stopping falls: If there is nonetheless a risk of folks falling from the platform a harness with a short function restraint lanyard should be secured to a appropriate manufacturer supplied anchorage point inside the basket to stop the wearer from obtaining into a position where they could fall from the carrier.
- Falling objects: barrier off the region around the platform so that falling tools or objects do not strike men and women below.
- Climate: high winds can tilt platforms and make them unstable. Set a maximum protected wind speed for operation. Storms and snowfalls can also harm platforms. Inspect the platform prior to use after serious weather.
- Handling materials: if used to set up components verify the weight and dimensions of materials and think about any manual handling and load distribution issues. You may need to have added lifting equipment to transport supplies to the perform position.
- Nearby hazards: do not operate a MEWP close to overhead cables or other unsafe machinery, or enable any element of the arm to protrude into a visitors route.
You must also make certain that all MEWP operators have attended a recognised coaching course and are familiar with the controls and operation of the particular make and model of MEWP they are utilizing.
Ultimately, it’s crucial that all MEWPs are topic to a programme of every day visual checks, normal inspections and servicing schedules, in order to ensure they are safe for use. As a piece of workplace machinery, MEPWs are topic to the Provision and Use of Function Gear Regulations 1998 (PUWER). For much more tips about PUWER, please see our ever-well-liked PUWER guide.
Now read this:
Surprisingly deadly: five of the UK’s most dangerous jobs
What does the future hold for the construction industry?
What is LOLER? A easy guide to lifting gear regulations
For much more important health and safety guides, information and suggestions, please sign up to SafetyMatters, RoSPA’s free fortnightly newsletter, and acquire our collection of totally free original e-books!